Saturday, May 15, 2010

Studying in the USA?

Hey everybody! I am an American and I want to see what it takes for one of my relatives that lives in Iran to come and study at Arizona State University. She is an undergrad for dental health and she has an amazing transcript. I was wondering what the steps were (other than applying to the school), to get a student visa to the U.S. She will be living with me, so I guess I am a sort of financial support for her. If you can tell me what steps we should be taking and how much it will cost all together I would appreciate it. Please give sources as I want accurate information. Thank you.

Studying in the USA?
Everything basically flows from the school application. Until she applies to a school and is accepted, nothing else can be done. Once she is accepted, the school enters her into the SEVIS database and has sent her an I-20 student form, then she can apply for a visa, but not until then. Since we don't have an embassy in Teheran, she'd have to apply in Dubai or Ankara, assuming she's in Iran. Check out usembassies.state.gov for the various embassy websites and how to schedule an interview. The view interview costs $100. Your other expenses would depend on the tuition, airfare. etc, plus factor in the flight to Dubai and hotel fare, etc. In addition to the interview, she'd need to go through a clearance process that could potentially delay issuance. Student visas for Iranian citizens are only good for a maximum of 1 entry 3 months. This means if she left the US during her studies, she would have to apply for a new visa to return, which could complicate any trip.
Reply:The school she applies to will have an office or at least a person who deals with international students and will assist her with the student visa application process etc.- she can get the info from the school. She will also have to take the TOEFL.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net