Saturday, May 15, 2010

Trying Again - Anyone with a rabbit with a dewlap and drooling in it's sleep?

I have a giant American Chinchilla rabbit. She has no abcesses, her teeth appear fine, but when she wakes up from a nap (she sprawls out on her side), sometimes her dewlap has residue on it...kind of like drooling in its sleep. Is it possible that a rabbit gets so relaxed in its sleep that it actually can drool like a person? I've noticed this occasionally. It doesn't happen all the time, but I posted the question the other day and noone answered. Is there anyone out there tonight who can answer this for me? Do I need to have another vet check her out for dental problems. We live in a small town and don't have a huge selection of vets from which to choose. For her I would travel if it is cause for concern.

Trying Again - Anyone with a rabbit with a dewlap and drooling in it's sleep?
The only thing I can think of is her teeth. I would get her vet checked just to be sure they aren't too long or one is bothering her. If not, maybe she's just a drooler?
Reply:I had a rabbit as well, who just recently passed away. I know a lot about rabbits, and infact I have never heard of one drooling. I dont believe it would be a problem. Is she in a warm area?? becuase often when rabbits get overheated or just plain hot, they raise their ears and drool. Maybe she gets over heated in her sleep. What I could suggest would try to make her where she sleeps cool with a fan, or if she doesnt like the wind a mini air conditioner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net